Cockroaches can spread disease throughout your home and business by leaving bacteria, viruses, and fungi behind on food and objects they move across. They don’t need to bite or sting to make you sick, and they do enjoy getting into your food stores. Contaminating everything they touch.
Some common illnesses contracted from a cockroach infestation are:
- Salmonellosis – Salmonella is food poisoning and can cause diarrhea, abdominal cramps, and fever. Usually only lasting 12 to 72 hours and can be severe for immune-compromised people.
- Escherichia coli – E. coli is a normal bacteria found in your gut microbiome, but some strains can be passed from cockroaches to humans and will cause you to be sick.
- Staphylococcus infections – This is a gastrointestinal illness. The bacteria are ingested through food and will make you sick. This bacterium is heat resistant and will not die off in the cooking process.
- Gastroenteritis – This is an inflammation of the stomach and the intestines, causing vomiting and diarrhea.
Signs of a cockroach infestation
Cockroaches are nocturnal pests, and they prefer moist and dark areas to hide, eat, and breed. They are commonly found behind or under stoves, refrigerators, or near sinks and drains.
If you find one cockroach in your home or business, it’s safe to assume they have a lot of friends and family in the harbourage nearby, and your home or business is already infested.
If you do find one or two, it’s time to call a cockroach removal company. Why not book your cockroach pest control services with AccuRAT?
If you’re not sure if you have cockroaches but you have suspicions that you might. There are some signs to look for.
If you have noticed areas that look like the coffee ground or black pepper near cracks and crevices around your home or business, then most likely you have cockroaches. Either German cockroaches or oriental cockroaches, they constantly feed, therefore leaving a lot of droppings behind. The more droppings you find, the more cockroaches there are, and the more emergency pest control you’ll require.
A single cockroach can produce a strong and disturbing odor. It will smell musty, oily, or mildewy. This smell will intensify if you have several cockroaches and is a good sign of an infestation.
Eggs are laid in a casing called an ootheca and will contain dozens of eggs. If you find these egg cases, that is a good indicator of an infestation. They are commonly found in major appliances, bookcases, or other hidden or wet spots in your home or business. Calling a pest exterminator at that stage is highly recommended.
Finding a cockroach is a good enough indication of an infestation, but adding in all the factors above may indicate a serious infestation and signs of a nest nearby in your home or business. Calling in a pest control specialist to exterminate the cockroaches and nest removal should be done immediately to minimize any more damage to your property and health. When professional pest control in London is being carried out, bait gel is commonly used as the best option for destroying the colony.
Common areas to check for signs of infestations
If you notice any of the signs of a cockroach infestation or see one scurrying around, there are common areas they like to gather. Anywhere warm, dark, and moist is an excellent place to look for cockroaches, and if you have a food source nearby, they will gather in the hundreds. Making for an unpleasant find and an unwanted guest.
A few areas to check are:
- Kitchen – This is an excellent area to start and the most common to find cockroaches. Check under and behind all your appliances. Check under the sink, and search cupboards, pantries, and anywhere else you store food.
- Bathroom – Bathtubs, showers, pipes, and drains all provide a moist environment that cockroaches love. Ensure you don’t have wet towels on the floor or any leaks.
- Laundry room – Check behind your washer and dryer, any stacks of clothes, or under a pile of towels.
- Basement – Cockroaches can squeeze through holes in the walls, cracks in the foundation, and leaky pipes. The moist environment and the isolation of most basements are perfect for cockroach infestation and pest problems overall.
What to do if you find a cockroach problem?
If cockroaches have invaded your home or business, it is time to take action and quickly. Here are some steps to take.
- Identify the infestation location – Follow the signs they leave to where they are hiding and determine their resting place.
- Prevent the infestation from growing – Seal up any crack or holes in your home that they are entering through, repair any broken or leaky pipes, and keep garbage sealed up well.
- Baits, traps, pesticides – Leaving out baits, traps, and pesticides to reduce their population will help bring their numbers down.
- Call an exterminator – Hiring a pest control specialist familiar with cockroach removal will create a strategic treatment plan to exterminate the cockroaches quickly.
If you are facing a cockroach infestation in the London area, you can find a local pest control service to help you get rid of the gross, creepy crawlies and provide a professional cockroach service.
Trying to manage an infestation on your own is exhausting and not a very good plan. These pests need to be exterminated as quickly as possible to reduce the risk to your health and the damage to your property.
020 8144 4744
Copyright © 2022 AccuRat Pest Solutions Ltd. All Rights Reserved
Professional Pest Control Company for London and Surrounding Areas. Specializing in Rodent Control, Insect Control, and Bird Control.
Registered in England and Wales Company No. 11578808, VAT No. 334 3207 33